Uniden R8 (R8nz)
Uniden’s newest portable radar detector is the logical upgrade to the popular R7.
New Zealand edition, NZ firmware, from the official NZ supplier
The Uniden R8 has all the hype of the R3 and R7 that came out years ago and is set to be a very popular release from Uniden.
Does it work on camera vans? Actually, seems to be that it does an OK job. Problem is, camera van detection comes with a lot of false alerts. The R8 has an “auto-city” mode meaning many of the false alerts will be auto muted under a preset speed limit (60km default), but then you’re at risk of missing a legitimate camera alert – just when you need it most.
The best defence from speed cameras is always your eyes and strict adherence to speed limits, but the Uniden R8 is a great tool to help regardless.
- Long-range detection with dual antenna for direction-specific alerts
- Smart display with user selectable colour schemes
- Multiple alert tones – user selectable
- Auto lockouts for false alerts
- Camera van detection
- GPS database built in, updates via USB
- Bluetooth ready (future update)